Thursday, September 22, 2011

Recipe for Life...

I know many people that collect cookbooks… some of them don’t even like to cook, but they like to see what delicious recipes they would make if they did like to cook.  I have a cupboard full of cookbooks, some little thin, freebie ones… some big heavy ones with beautiful pictures and elaborate ingredients, I spent a fortune on… some old ones that have been passed down from family, some of these ones are literally falling apart from years of use.  I have one that was my grandma’s; I received it after she had gone to be with Jesus.  That one is my prize possession! The funny thing about that one is that it has completely come off its binding. I cannot even use it anymore… I now have to keep it in an envelope so I don’t lose any of the pages.  You might wonder why that one is so precious to me… of course it has some great, simple, everyday-type recipes… and it was a remembrance of my grandma… but what makes it so special to me is my grandma’s handwritten notes throughout the pages of that tattered book.

This made me start thinking about the “recipe” book God has given us.  His precious Word, given to us as a recipe for an abundantly blessed life.  Every ingredient you need for daily living is found in this one Book!  God’s handwritten note to us… written by my man, but authored by the  Holy Spirit.

Just think… the Bible (God’s Word) is the only gift from God’s hand to us.  In  II Timothy 3:16-17 is says, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”  We, as followers of Christ, need to be prepared for anything that may meet us throughout the day.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,  I Peter 3:15

How do you prepare yourself?  Read Ephesians 6:10-17. 

~Be strong in the Lord (v. 10) and by reading and receiving God’s Word is where your strength comes.

~ Put on the whole armor of God (v. 11-12) to be able to stand against the evil of this world, seen or unseen.

~ Reading God’s Word daily so you know what you believe and you can stand on that Truth.  This is the belt of truth that will hold up the breastplate of righteousness and integrity, which guards your heart. (v. 13-14)

~ Dress your feet with God’s Word, the Good News of peace, so you will be sure-footed and always walking on solid ground. (v. 15)

~ Most importantly take the shield of faith to stop the fiery darts of the enemy. (v. 16)

~ Cover your head  (your thoughts, motivations) with the helmet of salvation, always taking the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God wherever you go. (v. 17)

It is not about just reading your Bible… it is about falling in love with the Words of God.  It is not about knowledge of the Bible… it is about learning Who God is and Who He wants to be in your life.  It is not how much of the Word you are in, but how much of the Word gets in you.

Rejoicing in Truth!

No comments: