Friday, July 22, 2011

Half-way is Never Enough…


When I got married I was under the impression marriage should be a 50/50 thing... give and take... 50/50. I had expectations of how the relationship should work... we need to meet each other halfway. It isn't just with marriage either... it can spread to any of your relationships with family and friends.

It didn't take long before I realized doing “50/50” just was not going to work!  By trying to do life that way, I was putting conditions on my love for the other person, which led to disappointment and frustration... 50/50 says "I'll do my part and you do your part"... it bases love on performance. We get more concerned with what the other person is giving rather than what we are giving. How could I ever judge what is my 50% or my husband's 50%... when I look at it like that I see I am trying to build a foundation all on my feelings... love isn't a feeling... love is an action... it's a choice. Like the choice God made when He sent His Son to die for each of us. God has always and will always give us 100 percent. Truthfully, I know I never even deserve 10% of His love... yet He pours His love out on me in abundance.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that 
while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Now, it is your turn… will you try to work on changing your marriage relationship to 100/100... in fact, how about trying it with all your relationships… even that person that gets on your nerves?  Not saying it is easy... and honestly it will never be 100/100... some days it might be 80/100 or 75/100... we are just human, but it gives us a goal to strive for each day.  I know for me… I am a work in progress!  It is not done through your strength but through the strength that comes from yielding your life totally to Christ.

A little respect and loving kindness can go a long way.  Know making just a small effort to reach out to others is a big deal!  Every act of kindness will be water to a thirsty soul.  As Believers we are called to be light in this dark world, so whether your spouse or friends or family are Believers or not… they need to see that our words and actions bear witness to the Love we have living inside of us.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see 
your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:16

Rejoicing in Truth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Great stuff, thanks for being real! Totally agree with the 100/100. :) hard to do because it requires laying down my own life for my husband and family and friends, daily. Lord, help me really be a servant of all....