Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Soak Up the Truth... Let Go of the Lie!

Grade school can be a good place to plant the seeds of insecurity & it only gets worse in Jr. High & High School.  But there were so many kids in my class in grade school that could read super fast.  I was always a slow, thorough reader… I liked to soak up every word, picture it in my mind & understand it.  I remember there use to be this reading program in school called SRA… not sure what that stood for.  You would have to read a little story & then answer questions about it.  There were different levels that were represented by different colors.  The “exceptional” readers would make it to the final color stages by the end of the school year.  I don’t remember how the color stages went, but I think I never made it past “brown” or “tan!” And then when I would have to read out loud in class, I would freak out because of being so shy. Do you know what I mean… I could hear my own voice & every word I would read I knew the other kids could hear the lack of confidence in my voice! 

Fast forward to adulthood… I always said I really don’t like to read.  But recently I was shown this statement was not true… it had to do with a lie I was still believing about myself.  I realized the reason for that statement was actually because I felt like an inadequate reader in school.

Here is the truth… I do like to read when it is an interesting book or a style of writing I enjoy.  The truth is I am a good reader… just because I am not a fast reader does not make me less than!  The truth is God made me this way to soak up words… He has placed this love of words in me & my heart’s desire for the words I am able to string together to be words He can use to touch someone’s heart!  I have always found it strange that I love to write when I don’t like to read, but this morning God showed me the truth… I do like to read, but the lie I believed about myself was keeping me from knowing that!

It is amazing how something that we might have been told about ourselves as a child can still be impacting us to this day!  In my mind those things are just silly things that don’t mean anything, but in my heart those “silly” things have done great damage.  Do you have any of those “silly” things that still are causing you to believe a lie about yourself?  You know when we believe things that are contrary to what God says about us… it is hurtful to God!?  He created each of us as a magnificent masterpiece!  Ask God to point out those areas in your heart so you do not have to live with those lies any longer.

Who does God say you are?  My Bible is full of little notes that are placed loosely through the pages… a couple years ago when I was going through a difficult time my hubby wrote me a note on a scrap piece of paper that says, “Carin is complete in Him… Papa makes her completely adequate for life, godliness and ALL He calls her to do!” These scriptures were written on the bottom: Colossians 2:9-10, 2 Peter 1:3, 2 Corinthians 9:8… check out those verses… we all need the reminder from time to time!

Take the time to read Psalms139… such a wonderful reminder of how our Heavenly Father watches, guides, & knows us completely!

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10

Rejoicing in Truth!

No comments: