Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tested to Be Trusted...

Thinking a lot about testing… not the kind in school that tells you how much you know, but the kind in life that shows you how much you don’t know.  With the way my life is right now, in waiting mode, I can see many moments of testing. 

This morning I was reading in Deuteronomy 8 and in verse 2 – Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep His commands. Hmmm… humble and test! Not the most fun words!?

When I was in school, before I could move onto a new class or a new subject or a new grade… I was given a written test.  Why test us before we can move on? I now can see a test is like giving us a “practice” before real life.  Like a person that goes to medical school… wouldn’t you want them to be tested before they are able to actually work on real, living bodies???  During a big test in school, I doubt I ever got all the answers right… I had to be willing to admit I don’t know it all!  That is humbling.  I see it the same way when God tests my faith… my will… my motivation.  Ah, motivation… now that is really hitting home. Realizing… if my motivation is not right then I will get tired of the battle and give up.  No matter how aggravating at times it can be to wait… wait… and wait some more… that is truly when God can see what is in my heart, but more importantly He shows me what is in my heart!  The test!  

Here is a quote by Adrian Rogers, “A faith that hasn’t been tested can’t be trusted.”  Let me ask you… would you want a surgeon operating on you that had never been tested?  It gives me a whole new way to look at being tested!

“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.” James 4:10

Rejoicing in Truth!

No comments: